Thursday, July 19, 2012

Every experience is just that, an experience. Not a big deal!

 Since I started wearing hijab and converted to Islam I have had many different reactions. As I have always said the reactions from people I know have been more pronounced than from strangers. However, there have been a few times when strangers have made their disgust or dislikes apparent. I compare such experiences with the ones previous to wearing hijab.

Most people just stare which is nothing unusual or discomforting. However today when I went into the local dollar store that I have been going to for the past three years I experienced something odd to me. The women who usually said hello just starred and as I walked down the isle to retrieve the item I was looking for I turned to see one of the workers at the end of the isle starring at me. She said nothing but was looking at me. I said hello and smiled as I walked past her and she said nothing. She walked back to where she was standing when I entered the store. lol...I find some of the experiences funny as to how blatant people are. That had never happened to me before so I am fully aware of the difference in reactions that I experienced prior.

As a part of my journey I also post a few things on facebook. Today someone thought I, and I quote,

 "I think you make to much out of this and maybe want to create some drama to get your point across!"

I assure you I do not have to lie or create drama around my experience. People are who they are and they feel the way they feel. 98% of my experience has been positive. 2% has been negative and the negative has mainly come from family and friends. I found the incident I described above to be rather humorous and decided to share. Aside for some racist keyboard warriors on my Youtube account who have said some blatantly malicious things and a few friends and family members this journey has been positive. I have learned that people who really don't know me take what I post differently then those who do. Sometimes I just need to chose how to say something more carefully.


Quite frankly I have had a wonderful experience during my journey and love my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment