Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Mom and stepdad officially know about my conversion

I almost forgot to mention that on Saturday (May 27th 2012) my mom and step dad officially found out I'm Muslim. Went way better than I thought. My step dad always has a jab to make and most of the time he is joking but considering his bigoted character sometimes you have to really decipher if he is joking or not.

As I arrived stepping out of my vehicle in full hijab and covered from head to toe my step dad asked my sister "so, is she Muslim now?" My sister simply replied "yup." Then my mom made a statement to my sister sometime later that day as they both drove down the street to check on our beloved garage sale signs..."so your sister finally converted?" My sister simply said "yes."

Mind you, neither of them asked me about it all weekend but made comments here and there. I can only show by my character and behavior that Islam is good and being Muslim is a positive for me.

My step dad and I have never got along and quite frankly I never did like him and I know for a fact that he doesn't and never did like me. I will spare you the long drawn out story but lets just say I like dating outside of my race and he can not and never will accept it. Regardless, I forgive him for all the mean, nasty and hurtful things he has said and I pray God shows mercy on him.

My step dad and I actually got along fine and spoke to each other for the three days I was at the house helping with the garage sale. I love my mom dearly and always want her to be happy and want her to know I am happy and this is a good thing for me.

The scariest part is over and that was letting both sets of parents know I converted and it wasn't nearly close to being the over dramatized thing I expected, especially with their reactions that I expected. I don't ask my parents for permission to do anything and I felt it was my business, however, my sister urged me to tell them and I am glad she did. (well....she confirmed my moms and step dads suspicions *small quiet giggle*)

I am truly the black sheep of the family and have never followed family norms so my conversion shouldn't really come as a surprise to anyone. But hopefully they will be pleasantly surprised at how good Islam is and that its not what the media or some people portrays it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment