Friday, November 30, 2012

Today an elderly man came into Costco and as he entered the building he stopped and asked me "so what's all this on your head, what it supposed to be?" I replied "this is a hijab." the elderly man then scrunched his face up and in a scruffy voice he replied " this has some religious condemnation to it then!" I replied "yes sir it does." the old man then replied with a scowl on his face " well then that's your problem, that's just your problem."

LOL I wasn't even shocked and told him "sir you have a wonderful shopping experience here at Costco today" with a huge smile on my face. *sigh* sometimes you just have to find the humor in other peoples intolerence.

I know some people are not interested in these types of updates on my interactions with the public. However it's only one part of my big journey. Nonetheless, it's an important part because this is what I was doing as a social experiment prior to converting to Islam and what I continue to do as a Muslim. Documenting the reactions and interactions with people in society regarding Muslims and Islam, which includes my family as well, is an interesting part of my journey. I am learning a lot about people and myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment