Saturday, June 9, 2012

Conversion

Conversion to Islam is not easy. Going from praying when I felt the need to, to 5 times a day is demanding and I am failing thus far. I am working on it, even if it is reciting the rakats and tashood but alas I need to work harder at it.

Do I think I made a mistake converting? NO! Not on your life. It feels right and I know I have done the right thing for myself. I notice small differences in myself. If someone scorned me before conversion I would pray karma would get them and punish them. Now I pray for them and I pray Allah guides them in the right direction.

Insh'allah, I will meet my own goals for prayer from now on.

Struggling with the fact that I am only supposed to marry a muslim man is a whole other ball of wax. I would prefer to stay single if I can't marry someone I love as opposed to "having" to marry within my religion. Do I feel oppressed about this issue? NO! Because at the end of the day I will be making my own decision for myself and pray Allah understands. I am still an American independant woman with American culture running through my viens. It is a bit of a tug of war but will take time. It it comes down to being forced to marry muslim (which isn't a bad thing) or marrying someone I love.....well what do you tink I will do. The future remains to be seen. I am Muslim and have only dated black men. (Not remotely attracted to white men) so there is comfort in knowing there are black muslim men out there for me to chose from. Hopefully at my age I will find one that matches my personality, thoughts and beliefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment