Friday, November 22, 2013

Religious expresson, why do people get so offened?


Someone's outrage has prompted me to research this morning why so many Christians are offended by the term "Happy Holidays." Coming from nearly all Christian or Atheist family I never heard family offended by Christmas or the term "Happy Holidays" and believe this has turned into a big thing in the past decade or so, but I could be wrong, it could be as little as a few years. But why and is it right for some Christians to condemn those who use the term "Happy Holidays" and really why become so offended by something that is meant to respect everyone?

 

I want everyone to do something, I want you all to go out into the street and starting grouping people, by looks only, who is Christian, Jewish, Hindu, Muslim, Atheists, etc....But keep this in mind, each year nearly 20,000 Americans convert to Islam and not all wear head scarves and most wear western clothing. The same goes for Americans converting to Judaism, Hinduism and Buddhist. So go ahead, go to into public and start separating people by their religion or non-religion based on appearance only. Can you tell who believes or doesn't believe? Keep in mind, not all Indians are religious or practice the religion you think they do, and the same goes for any ethnicity or culture.

It's that time of year here in America and across the world to be happy and bring good cheer. However, it's not good cheer for many who are stopped from displaying their nativity scenes because it "offends" others, OOOORRRRRR Christians who become offended at the greeting "Happy Holiday" as opposed to "Merry Christmas." Neither greeting offends me personally and I agree and feel the same as the people's comments below.  The mere fact that cities all over the U.S. are stopping people from displaying their religious ornaments is disturbing because we do have the freedom of religion and religious expression. So if you're Atheist or a person of different religion and don't celebrate any holidays or the holidays of others then don't partake in the decor or festivities.  Really it's a simple, respect, live and let live. Right? Wrong, Wrong because so many people "choose" to be offended by every freaking thing that crosses their path. Instead of being offended by children being beaten and raped someone chooses to be offended about a greeting or someone else's religious decor or beliefs. Really?

 

From October to January 1st, many religious and non-religious holidays take place. Eid (Muslims), Halloween, Thanksgiving, Chanukah, Kwanza, Christmas and New Years. "Happy Holiday"s encompasses all of these holidays because this time of year is not a Christian time of year only. It is shared by many people of many religions, non-religions, ethnicities and is a very, very, diverse time of year.

 

 Anyone working with the public will most times use "Happy Holidays" because it's not ok to assume "everyone" celebrates Christmas or are Christian. I don't know about anyone else, but I "CAN'T TELL" who is Christian, Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim, Hindu or Atheist from the next. So why am I going to automatically wish anyone Merry Christmas during this time of year when this time of year holds so many religious holidays and traditions or so many people? Why are people rude to me and why am I yelled at and condemned for using the term Happy Holidays? I have used that term since I was young because I grasped the idea and knowledge that we are a mixed nation of people and this has never been an "ALL" Christian nation nor will it ever be. I understood the history of how Christianity came to this country and the history of this nation period.

 

If you know someone personally then of course wish them Merry Christmas or Happy Chanukah, or Happy Eid, or Happy Kwanza, or Happy whatever. But to assume everyone celebrates Christmas and is obligated to wish everyone "Merry Christmas" and to become offended when someone says "Happy Holiday" is not appropriate or fair either.  In saying that respect for everyone is a must. On the day of Christmas I will wish people that I personally know "Merry Christmas" but I will not be bullied into saying Merry anything because it offends that person or religion. People in this world become to offended by others for no good reason. Can one Christian, Muslim, Jewish or Atheist speak for "ALL"? NO. Do all Christians, or Atheists, or Muslims, or Jewish all think the same way? NO.  I don't think or practice like ALL other Muslims because my culture and experiences are different so I don't speak for ALL Muslims as no Christian can speak for ALL Christians.

So in all this all I can do is give my belief and what I have found. All I know is people become offended over some stupid stuff when I can think of more important and egregious issues to be offended by like children being raped or beaten or starved.  

*By the way, if you put up a Christmas tree that is not a part of Christmas, nor is gifts from Santa.*

I have looked online for an answer from others and this is what I have found.

 "People take this whole thing way too seriously.. If a Jewish person said happy Chanukah to me I wouldn't care even if i wasn't Jewish. But some people do get offended, so why not save the embarrassment but saying happy holidays? Then Christians get offended because of their pride in their holiday. It honestly doesn't bother me either way.. People take this whole religion thing way too seriously."

"It bothers some because they feel this is a "Christian" nation and their rights to their religion are being eroded away.

Happy holidays, is a neutralized version of wishing everyone regardless of their religion to have a happy religious holiday. People forget that there are others religions that have special occasions around Christmas. Jews, Muslims, other religions, and secular minded people enjoy Christmas, although it doesn't directly apply to them. By saying, "Happy Holidays," we include others, rather than be snobbish or arrogant, implying one group of people are better than other groups, or like exclusive country clubs, whereby if you don't have money, fame or power, you can't come in. If you're not a "Christian," you're not welcome here. Bahooey to that!" (http://www.ask.com/answers/462932721/why-do-some-people-get-offended-by-the-term-happy-holidays)

 "I mean there ARE other holidays besides Christmas around this time of year, and unless I know better I'm not going to just assume that you celebrate Christmas. If I know that you're a Christian then I'll gladly say "Merry Christmas" to you. No big deal. I'm not generalizing all Christians. I'm just talking about the few who act like this. " (http://www.sodahead.com/living/why-do-some-christians-get-so-offended-when-someone-says-happy-holidays-as-opposed-to-merry-chris/question-3381415/?link=ibaf&q=&esrc=s)

Here is a great article addressing this very thing from "Parent Magazine."
(http://www.todaysparent.com/blogs/tracys-mama-memoirs/are-you-offended-by-happy-holidays/)

"I can’t quite wrap my mind around what those who celebrate Christmas feel they lose by saying “happy holidays” in cases when they’re not sure what the other person celebrates. Do they really not get their fill of Christmas — between the parades and the Santa in every mall, the buildings decked out in red and green, the TV shows and movies, and the myriad events going on everywhere all December long — that it pains them to convey a message not wrapped in the C-word? Why is it so offensive? How does it snatch away their joy or diminish their celebration?

I can’t bear discrimination of any kind, and it’s one thing to say “I’m going to say Merry Christmas because that’s what I celebrate” and a whole other thing to say “How dare they come to our country and tell us we can’t say Christmas anymore?” That, to me, is appalling. First of all, it’s not just people who have recently arrived in Canada who don’t celebrate Christmas. You must know this. Secondly, from what I’ve seen, it’s never this “them” who are trying to enforce a more inclusive celebration. It’s us. Well, some of us — the ones who care about the feelings of our friends, our colleagues, our kids’ friends and families, and strangers on the street, who have every right to celebrate their customs. They have no interest in abolishing ours. They just want to celebrate something that matters to them, too. There’s no “us and them” in any of this, unless we manufacture it."
 
At the end of the day, people should spend their time being less offended by others and celebrating their holidays as they do. Live and let live. Respect, peace and love for others, it goes a long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment