Monday, July 29, 2013

It has been a while but I am back for now.

Wow it has been such a long time since I have posted. My last computer crashed and my friend has allowed me to borrow theirs for a while. Alhamdulillah!


So what has happened since January in my lovely little life. Lots. I moved into my own place finally and I am still working at Costco. My experiences as a hijabi have been positive thus far with only a few blatant verbal attacks.

I believe I have already blogged about the very first verbal interaction at work with a customer who basically called me a rag head when he and his family walked to the door. His exact words were "I wish I could wear a big pink towel on my head like you." That was like a fatal stab to my jugular. I replied, "its not a towel its my scarf" turned away and helped the next customers. He has been to the store since but has not said a word to me.

I find some (and I say some because its never a representative of all) elderly people are set to far back in their beliefs and knowledge that they don't know how to change. The last to negative verbal encounters happened at my work by two elderly customers. The first happened on Monday, May 29, 2013 at 1055a.m. Yes I remember because one doesn't forget the bigotry directed at them personally. A little old lady approached the door, I checked her receipt and gave it back telling her to have a nice day. She just stared in bewilderment for a few short moments then said, "oh dear, your wearing a scarf your a terrorist." Now, I'm always stunned at peoples blatant disregard for courtesy and respect but at her age I don't think she even cares nor thought of what she was truly saying and how it would affect me. I replied, "no mam, I am not a terrorist." The elderly red headed woman just shook her head staring dumbfounded. I wanted to lash out and tell her listen lady.....and ramble on about how all Muslims are not terrorists and she should research domestic terrorism in the United States and what does she think about Timothy McVeigh, the Uni-bomber and a whole list of violent Americans who have committed heinous vile violent acts against America and their own people. But I did not, I work for a company that I love and represented so I pulled up my professional big girl panties and told her to have a nice day after I said I was not a terrorist. I let it sink in for a moment and knew that her words still stung like a barbed jagged thorn being plunged into my heart. I barely made it to the managers office holding it together but I did long enough to reach her and tell her what was said. Then I cried as I told her and quite frankly I don't know how she comprehended what I said. However, with an apology and a hug (as this particular manager is very perceptive and loving to our feelings) she empathized with me.

This last incident happened on Sunday the 21st of July. An elderly man, again in his late 80's to mid 90's, with a German accent walked up to me and put his face very close to mine and chuckled as he said *in his thick German accent* "Are you a terrorist?" I looked up and saw a younger woman who looked to be his daughter or granddaughter grimace and mouthed "I am sooooo sorry." I looked at the old man, smiled and replied, "no sir, I am no terrorist." He walked away chuckling. I am not sure if he was joking or got a kick out of being an asshole. Never-the-less, I have started to become thick skinned to such blatant bigotry and realize they know nothing more and even if I attempted to educate them they wouldn't care. That is between them and God. This time I did not go to a manager, nor did I cry. I laughed it off. It felt good to laugh it off and not to take their ignorance or hatred personally.

At the end of the day I am a Costco employee and I represent them when I work and interact with customers and it is essential to remain calm, respectful and professional with all customers and co-workers at all times and when faced with adversity.


That's enough for now because I must go. I will be back soon to post more of my experiences, thoughts and research later this week. Work is calling. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment